Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pulp me

 I remember being a kid and going to the library and discovering the book carousel of YA novels . I thought I had died and gone to heaven all of these juicy tales of haunted boarding schools , out of body experiences , maybe a lesbian crush or two , incest and maybe a murder . I could not get enough of Lois Duncan her novels transported me to spooky unseen shores she was the stepping stone to my future love of Stephen King and Angela Carter . The book cover art alone could send me into hours of daydreaming staring at every detail between devouring pages . These pulpy teen novels in my opinion are far superior to the current teen reads . The female characters that I read about were strong and empowered not weak in the knees for some dorky vampire dud . Maybe I am biased and gotten to that point in my life where I start saying " in my day we had better female role models than lady gaga we had Bikini kill and we liked it that way " . Either way I attribute my fascination to the occult , shamanism , meditation , and the paranormal on these early reads they forced my young brain open and I can say I think I am a healthier happier person believing in the possibilities of anything than fearing everything . With openness comes understanding , empathy and love and that is what I want to put out into the world . I love you all , peace out !Read some PULP ! it does a body good .








1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE Stranger with My Face. Those books also changed my perception of reality as a kid. Great post, my dear. We may be old geezers but I think what you say is true. Feminism is given more lip service now but female heros are not nearly as complex. Write a young adult book, dude.